• Home

January 3, 2023

Do you want to know if your apartment is or was rent stabilized? The state’s Housing and Community Renewal agency will have the rent history information.

This is how:

  • The quickest and easiest method is to go to HCR’s website. Choose “Unit Rent History,” and then enter the specifics of your apartment. This will take you to HCR’s web portal where you can get your rent history.

You will receive a printed copy of your rental history in the mail. View here!

  • Another choice is to use a program developed by the nonprofit tenant advocacy group JustFix. Which will ask HCR for your rent history. Renters can submit this online form or text “RENT HISTORY” to (855) 610-2450.

According to tenant advocates, the techniques listed above are the simplest ways to obtain your rent history. If you want your rent history immediately, receiving it in person is also possible.

  • Schedule a visit to an HCR rent administration office in advance if you like to go in person.

You can find the addresses and phone numbers for each office here.

You must provide identification with a photo and your lease agreement. An energy statement, a rent receipt, or a copy of your lease are all acceptable examples. When you arrive, be ready to fill out a records request form.

  • You may also get your rent history by email or mail. Experts conclude that going in person or using the online portal is your best chance.

Remember that the HCR won’t have a rent history for you if your unit has never been rent stabilized. It’s worth checking if you’re uncertain! Only the landlord or current renter of a property may ask HCR for one. Doing so is free of charge.

What should you do after you have your rent history, or if you believe you have been overcharged? It can occasionally be challenging to determine what your legal rent should be without legal counsel. A lawyer may be in the best position to assist.

Legal Aid and Legal Services provide low-income New Yorkers with consultations. Aas well as legal clinics if one chooses to seek legal advice from a housing attorney or tenant rights organization.

For anyone who would like to receive legal advice, the NYC Bar Association has an online form and a phone number:(212-626-7373 or 917-832-1927 for Spanish).